Monday 26 March 2012

Two Great North American Writers

The first thing I did this morning was to ask Aoife if she was aware of the Road Less Taken by Robert Frost.  I was almost certain she would be faniliar with the poem, and if she wasn´t, I was certain she would welcome the introduction.

After Aoife had presented me with onion, she told me that she had a frustrating day, as she was unable to walk following an accident.  She told me that she wished to train to be an Astrophysicist, but also enjoyed writing.  I asked her to write a poem in the time it took me to go outside and smoke a ciggie.

And she wrote like a demon about her walk to Estrella with her grandfather Jack.  I am limitedto one hour in the internet cafe, so I´m unable to transscribe the whole poem.  i will certainly do this at some later point.

"My granfather walking a lively old bird watcher, Walking the Camino with his little grandaughter"

"together we are quite a sight, the oldest and the youngest, the loudest and the quietest, the fittest and the least prepared"

"Grandfather stopped, as always alert on an ancient bridge to admire a Griffin Vulture, while I stand bored with my arms folded"

Later, on the way into Los Arcos, I encounter the strange sight of Jack and and his son Kurt.  Jack is cycling to Santiago as his son runs alongside him.  We all stay in the same alburge.  At three in the morning, Jack goes downsstairs and sits in the kitchen.  I join him and we chat about his life in Montana and Seattle, about his relationship with his son, and his wife Karen who recently passed away.

I am inspired to write the first poem I´ve written for 40 years

A father riding alongside his son on a pushbike
Their mode of travel deternined by the length of a US vacation
They move together in tandem and harmony
On a journey that is driven by love and faith

I return to bed and two hours later I rejoin Jack, he tells me that he has for the first time expressed his feelings in his note book.




No comments:

Post a Comment