Friday 9 March 2012

Dos Vagabundos


In the past 40 years, I’ve only ever sang once in public and that was to audience of one.

When I was seven, Mrs Lehman announced to the whole class that “I have been teaching for almost 40 years, and John Lewis has the worst singing voice that I’ve ever heard”.  She suggested to me that it would be better if I mimed whilst the rest of the class sang. We Plough the Fields and Scatter.

And I did as she suggested.

Furthermore, I’ve carried on through life often mouthing the words but not singing with the choir, sitting on the fence and not expressing how I feel. 

 I recall having dinner with a woman who sang a beautiful sweet-sounding version of  Amazing Grace especially for me.  When she asked me sing back to her I could feel my mouth going dry, me stomach tightening and feel my heart rate increase.  This lead to feelings of frustration and anger and Monica acknowledged this and tried to reassure me.

“The birds in the forest all have different singing voices and it would be a dull place if they all sounded the same”

I cannot blame insensitive comments of an elderly primary school teacher for my anxiety disorder.

The only time I ever sang was on the Camino de Santiago.  It was a very wet Saturday morning and I was just outside Melide with Pilar Fernandez Alonso. We were discussing favourite scenes from films.  She described a scene she loved where a man is at a typewriter and a woman is sat on the fire escape outside the window with a guitar and  she sings.

 “But I can’t remember the song”

I stopped, turned, looked her in the eye and sang

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7SI7N22k_A

No comments:

Post a Comment