Monday 12 March 2012

Dear Mr Cameron


As I walked to the supermarket this morning, I passed a poster which stated “Dear Mr Cameron, You are making a big mistake with the NHS.  Please listen to us.”  I found this inspiring

I returned home and wrote a letter to my family doctor, thanking him for the service he has provided over the past few years.  In this version of the letter I’ve expanded a little on what I did state in the letter.

Dear Doctor

I want to thank you for the support that you have given me over the past few years.  You have always given me the time to express my thoughts and feelings about my condition and you have always listened to me.  You managed to persuade me to take medication, not by adopting an attitude of ‘doctors knows best’ but by presenting the facts to me and allowing me to make my own choices.  When you referred me to a psychiatrist and for counselling you helped me understand the process and you discussed with me the outcomes of the assessment . 

I remember you advising me to go put of the surgery and turn right and take a walk along the Rivlin Valley.  On that occasion, I chose to turn left and return home to sit and stare at the bedroom wall for the remainder of the day.  However, a week or so later I did make the decision to walk towards Mallin Bridge and later this week I will walk 800km towards Santiago.

My mother was a Family Doctor who was very proud to work within in National Health Service in general practice in Pontefract.  She was principled woman, who refused to sit on the fence and was well known for speaking her mind in order to get best care for her patients.  There were many a consultant at Pinderfields and St James who had messages left at their golf clubs, questioning what they were doing with regard to her patients.  I was brought up to question authority, but I trust your judgement and I won’t do that.  My mother is no longer here, but I am sure she would have approved of the way you have met my medical needs.

Thank you 

Best wishes
John

I know a bit about the way health care is delivered in the US, and I know enough to be certain that you would not benefit from  the quality of service that I recieved within the NHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment