Monday 12 March 2012

"I'll Even Shave Your Pubes for a Tenner"


If you are ever in Sheffield and require a haircut, I suggest that you pay a visit to get the tram to Hillsborough, and go to Dave’s Barber’s Shop on Holme Lane.  It appears to be traditional barber’s shop in many ways with a shop front that hasn’t changed since about 1969, black and white lino flooring and no sign of any hair care products.

There are copies of The Sun and Daily Mail, but I understand from Chris the barber that these are obligatory reading in barber’s shops and if he was to buy The Guardian, many of his customers would head off to the unisex salon on Middlewood Road.

I’ve sat and watched Chris cut hair and he is able to engage in conversation about the weather, holidays and football in a friendly and knowledgable manner.  Furthermore he is able to remove unwanted middle aged aural hair in a way that makes the customer feel comfortable

“I can give you a shave; in fact I’ll even shave your pubes for a tenner”

And no offence appeared to be taken when I suggested

“and he will give you a blowjob for fifteen”

I like Dave’s because I get good quality haircut for £5.  However the reason I love going there is because he chooses to play BBC Radio 6 on the wireless and during the course of a haircut we discuss music in a way that you don’t expect.  Not only do I get a haircut, I get an album review.

I met Dean in there today.  I told Dean about my walk to Santiago and he told me about his hitch hiking road trip to the outskirts of Belgrade, where he got arrested for vagrancy and decided to abandon his journey to Turkey and returned to France.  I like the company who can tell a good story.

As I was leaving, Dean informed me that “Gentlemen exchange cards” and presented me with his card.  I am no gentleman and I have no card, but I did promise to email him a link to the blog.  Dean is a Dry Stone Waller who is Peak Park approved.  I’ve got no idea how competent he is at Dry Stone Walling, but on the basis of the conversation we had this afternoon, I would be happy to recommend him

If you go to a salon on West Street you may get a marginally better haircut and be presented with some very expensive hair care products, but you will pay at least five times as much and the quality of conversation will be infinitely less enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment