Wednesday 14 March 2012

Ich bin ein Morgenmuffel


I can only construct one sentence in German that makes any sense. This is disappointing as I studied German for two years at school, my father has been married for over 30 years to Reinhild and I had a very fulfilling relationship with a beautiful, intelligent and compassionate woman from a small town in Germany.

“Ich bin ein Morgenmuffel”

Which translated into English means?

“I am a grumpy, sullen and cantankerous person in the morning”

Anyone who has the dubious pleasure of sharing a bed with me will know that I am certainly not a Morgenmuffel.  Even if I have stayed up until 2 am and drunk more than my fair share 7 year old Havana rum to celebrate my arrival in Wanganui from Heathrow via LA, I will wake up before 6.00am feeling fully energised.  I will bang around the kitchen making coffee, turn on the light in order to search for a cigarette and suggest to my partner that we should drive to the nearest mountain, climb it, have an intense conversation with some random stranger, then find a local vineyard and sample a at least five different types of wine before having a relaxing breakfast of eggs Florentine at The Purple Carrot Café.

The only reason that I studied German was because my mother believed that one would go a long way in life if you could speak more than one language.  She badgered the school into allowing me to join the German class. 

Normally the ‘O’ Level German class at Kings School Pontefract was reserved for those who had shown an aptitude for French. In French, I could tell people how old I was, count to twelve and inform them that my hobbies included rugby, tennis and the weekend.  They didn’t, but it is not difficult to translate those words from French to English.  I was no French scholar and completely out of my depth.

On about week three I was introduced to the word Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung.  At the time I had slight impediment an struggled  to correctly pronounce words of more than two sylabals in my mother tongye.  Whilst, the rest of the class were learning the dative of relatively straghtforward German irregular verbs, I sat at the back of the class looking at pictures of the Muller family shopping in Essen, catching the train to Wuppertal, or holidaying on some island in the North Sea.  I like to think that in the 400 year history of my school, I was the only person to achieve grade U at German O Level.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be the first man in the world to watch the sunrise on Valentines Day on a deserted beach in NZ, whilst in the company of a sexy stunning Kiwi farmgirl., to be taught the basics of the tango in a poorly Beunes Aries night club by a dark and mystereous Argentinian womam, and to witness the sun setting behind the Taj Mahal, whilst in the company of Miss Liverpool University 1981, who was looking for a way out of our relationship

However

I can think of nothing better than slowly waking up next to a German woman (who is neither a goat nor a cow), being presented with a simple breakfast of freshly baked bread and cold Landjäger before taking a leisurely stroll to the German National Museum of Clock making. 

And I am not being ironic as I love being in Germany.

PS I also love the German word ohrwurm and today’s ohrwurm is unfortunately


PPS I apologise to anyone in Germany if in the title of this post, if I have used the feminine plural dative rather than the masculine singular present.

No comments:

Post a Comment